Friday, December 11, 2009

TIP: CONVERTING TEMPERATURES EASILY

THERMOMETER Pictures, Images and Photos

In school, we all learn to convert celcius to fahrenheit and vice versa using a rather complicated and cumbersome formula.

I like to keep things simple in life and in such things as converting temperatures so I came up with my own method for doing this.

First off in school they teach this: Multiply the Celsius temperature reading by 9/5, and then add 32 to get the temperature in Fahrenheit: (9/5 * C) + 32 = F.

Subtract 32 from the Fahrenheit temperature, and then multiply this quantity by 5/9 to get the temperature in Celsius: (F ' 32) * 5/9 = C.

For me this is a bit much..what I do, and although not totally precise it is very close to the exact temperature and works well enough since I just want to compare world temps anyway.

Celcius is based on 0-100. 32* fahrenheit is equal to 0*Celcius. 100*Celcius is equal to 212* fahrenheit. I work on the basis that there are two degree of Fahrenheit for each degree of Celcius. While not precise this is good enough for me to get a rough idea of comparitive temperatures.

  • Examples: if it is 12*F here..I know that is 20* less than 32*..dividing the difference in half, it makes it -10*C.

  • if it is 72*F here..I know that is 40* more than 32*..dividing the difference in half makes it 20*C.

  • if the temp is 30*C, I multiply that by 2=60 and add it to 32*F, so 30*C=92*F

  • if the temp is 15*C I multiply that by 2=30 and add it to 32*F so 15*C=62* F

  • Minus Celcius is a bit more complicated. We need to remember that 0*C=32*F.

  • -10*C=32-20 so -10*C is the same as 12*F

  • -20*C=32-40 so --20*C is the same as -8*F

No comments:

digitalpoint

Geo Visitors Map

~WHIRLED GNUS~

Followers

Blog Archive